Dev Diaries: Character Design

 


🗣️ Dev Diaries 🗣️

"Creature character design has always held a special place in my heart, and this project has been no different. We wanted to create a companion for our main character that was both cute and had features that connected to actions throughout the story, and as I listened to the concepts thrown out I immediately began sketching. With iconic characters like Appa from Avatar the Last Airbender and Toothless from How to Train your Dragon, my first sketches leaned a bit more towards fully grown specimens, which I gradually began to round out as we decided we wanted our creature to be a baby needing help to get home. His crystals came in next, initially being just the one on his head but then filling out his back as well as we came up with the idea of using them for a puzzle later in the game. The wings were the trickiest part for me- I’ve always leaned towards drawing grand draconic wings, so it took a couple passes to get the size correct for our vision. In the end, we came out with an absolutely adorable little guy, and I’ve had so much fun working on his model and other game art!"

- Jenna Luddy, Artist


"I’ve always been interested in stylized character design and in this project, I was responsible for creating the main character that our players would be following. I started with creating a basic sketch with colors trying to get the overall vibe of our character in Clip Studio Paint. Most of the base design was made from reference art provided by the Creative Director. We went through a few iterations as a few different people created concept art for the main character. After reviewing the character design I created the final design while taking inspiration from members of the art team. I added a small braid on the hair and patterns along the cloth to add visual interest to the otherwise plain clothing. Based on the artboard that was created I made clothing that was designed for someone used to traveling and the colors from a palate similar to Studio Ghibli films which was a big art reference for the game."

- Will Yan, Artist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dev Diaries: Level Design

Dev Diaries: Concept and Inspiration