Dev Diaries: Level Design



🗣️ Dev Diaries 🗣️


"My role as lead game designer was to lead my department of designers to use the combination of art assets and coding scripts to bring to an empty scene and make an interesting and fun level out of them, with the specifications of our creative director Ori. For our level design process, we would first figure out the mechanics and setting for the level. Then I would make a map that would go through multiple changes until it is approved then all of my department will be given tasks whether that would be getting the terrain scale size finalized, blocking it out, and work on the lighting tasks. We do these tasks to ensure placement of assets testing of the level conveying what it needs too and is it fun to move in while we wait on assets from the artists and mechanics the programmers. Once done we move to implementation of assets and code and testing to see if anything need fixing and which they’re always is. However since I am usually in charge of map layout, map making, water shaders, nav meshes and making sure mechanics work I mainly worry about these tasks while others are on sound or lighting."

- Raymone Hinnant, Lead Level Designer

"Hi there, My name is Jermaine and I'm a Level Designer who helps implement assets test out mechanics, and implement them into the levels. My process is when a mechanic is implemented I would test out the speed of the player and roam around making sure everything is right and orderly and the player isn't colliding with the ground then I would test the mechanics out and adjust them according to how the level feels. For example one of our levels features a statue puzzle using a whistling mechanic it would be placed down within the area and tested to see if the range of it works and if the whistling is working as intended. I'm still in the learning process and there's so much I have yet to learn but I'm grateful for this opportunity with Big Creature Studios. For have a good time working with them and I wish for any fellow students who want to pursue level design to give it a shot I know you might have a great time learning."

- Jermaine Pinnock, Level Designer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dev Diaries: Character Design

Dev Diaries: Concept and Inspiration